Our people are passionate about ocean health and uniquely driven towards creating a better future. We believe in supporting them with a strong organizational culture committed to providing the best tools, structure, guidance and benefits available.
FishWise is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Our competitive and comprehensive benefits package provides a full range of benefits to support a positive life balance:
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life insurance
- Flexible work schedules
- Retirement savings plan, with matching contribution
- Generous annual leave and sick time
- Paid holidays
- Get outside, stay inspired.
- Dress for your day, be prepared.
- You’re more ready than you think!
- Communicate often and openly, have the hard conversations.
- Our Divisions don’t divide us.
- Be an approachable authority and a kind mentor.
We are looking for our newest team member who will bring their talents and expertise to create new programs and drive communication activities that spotlight the organization’s mission and impact to grow our public profile. The individual in this role will be responsible for developing communication strategies and campaigns, including identifying and capitalizing on storytelling opportunities across a range of audiences. This role requires an organized, hands-on team player who instinctively works in a collaborative manner, has the judgement to prioritize busy days and competing demands, and will speak up with sound communication counsel. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as a writer, editor, and media relations manager, with expertise in developing and executing communication strategies that deliver tangible results.
The Communications Project Manager works closely with the CEO and Advancement Director, as well as across the organization’s Business Engagement, Social Responsibility, Traceability, and Data Divisions.
This position reports to the Advancement Director.
- Under the direction of the Advancement Director, CEO, and staff, develop, execute, and track the impact of a proactive communication strategy to support long-term and project-based organization initiatives, NGO and business partnerships, and fund development
- Bring knowledge of the media and influencer landscape as it relates to organizational mission; resource current contacts and develop new relationships with journalists and other media influencers
- Develop, edit, and produce content to engage and build relationships with audiences across various channels, including publications, newsletters, blogs, and social media
- Coordinate the production and distribution of professional print/online materials to fulfill partnership reporting commitments, tell the FishWise story, and advance our mission
- Guide projects with graphic designer and other communication-related consultants
- Oversee the ongoing development and maintenance of FishWise website
- Liaise with a wide variety of stakeholders and successfully translate the organization’s goals into strategic, integrated communication strategies
- Serve as a resource to staff regarding communication best-practices, consistent branding, and cohesive narratives
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field
- A minimum of 2 years professional experience with increasing responsibility for design, implementation, and management of communication and/or marketing strategies
- Demonstrated ability to deliver targeted content that generates measurable ROI
- Ability to handle sensitive information and navigate controversial/divisive issues effectively and confidently
- Critical thinking skills and initiative to solve problems efficiently
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; must have credibility, good judgement, honesty, and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player and with flexibility in a rapidly changing environment
- Time management skills, with proven capacity for anticipating, prioritizing, and managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Expert computer and web application proficiency including macOS, G-Suite, Microsoft Office, WordPress and web/social publishing applications
- Experience with funder/donor or resource development activities a plus
- Experience with public relations and/or advocacy a plus
- Knowledge of storyboarding and utilizing video for marketing and outreach a plus
- Proficiency in Adobe CS applications (Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) a plus
- Philanthropic mindset: willing to engage in fund development activities to support building the culture of philanthropy at FishWise
- Knowledge of the seafood industry and/or sustainable seafood landscape a plus
- Dedication and passion for the stewardship of the oceans a must!
Hours and Benefits
- This is a full-time position based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required
We like people with all kinds of experience. If you don’t see the opportunity you were looking for, submit a general application.
The Intern’s primary responsibility is two-fold: 1) to provide support to existing member retailer partners and 2) provide general office support. The intern will work with existing Project Managers who are the main customer service contact for retail partners with questions or needs after the launch of the FW program. The intern will help them support these partnerships through materials development and shipment, newsletters and website updates. The Intern will conduct work to support major buyer partnerships with database work and species research. The Intern will also conduct general office work such as assisting with technology, cleaning, and purchasing supplies. The Project Managers will provide direction and oversight to the Intern.
- Provide support to the Project Managers to support independent partnerships including: creating promotional sheets in Adobe Illustrator, writing and editing monthly newsletter pieces, materials shipments, etc.
- Correct store audits as needed to help improve seafood label accuracy for retailers.
- Research the sustainability of various seafood products in order to recommend sourcing action for partners.
- Assist with research of and networking for product sourcing.
- Update and enter ratings and certifications in databases for seafood products.
- Summarize scientific reports/seafood news for internal and external communication.
- Conduct analyses of seafood inventory for partners using Filemaker and Excel.
- Write weekly blog for FishWise website.
- Update and develop new promotional materials. Print and collate as needed. Organize digital files and photos.
- Perform various clerical duties including typing, answering phones, ordering software, and general office upkeep.
- Opportunity to develop unique independent project based off personal interests in seafood sustainability.
- Dedication and passion for the stewardship of the oceans
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Basic understanding and desire to learn more about seafood sustainability criteria and relevant stakeholders e.g. supply chain businesses, NGOs, and government agencies
- Excellent Mac-computer skills including Microsoft Office & Adobe Suite
- Strong communication skills and reliability
- Ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Experience working in a collaborative office or professional environment
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to work with limited oversight
- Ability to learn new skills quickly and independently, such as Filemaker database management, Joomla website maintenance, EndNote, etc
- Self-motivation, flexibility, and a positive “can-do” attitude
- This is a part-time position based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM
- Evening and weekend work may be required
- Personal transportation is required