2012 FishWise Wrap-Up
As FishWise begins to wrap up our year in preparation for the holidays, we are all looking ahead, planning for the work to come in 2013. But it’s also a great time to look back and reflect on the incredible progress we made during 2012!
Some key achievements we made here at FishWise over the past year include:
- Helping Safeway to maintain their position as number 1 in seafood sustainability on the Greenpeace Retailer Scorecard
- Working with Safeway to develop North America’s first retail owned-brand Responsibly Caught canned tuna, sourced from free-school purse seine skipjack fisheries
- Gaining major retailer support for the protection of key sockeye salmon habitat in Alaska from potentially devastating mining activity
- Signing a new major retail partner, Hy-Vee of Des Moines, Iowa
- Signing a new distributor partner, Sea Delight , based out of Miami, Florida
- Signing a new independent retail partner, Kings Food Markets of Parsippany, New Jersey
- Helping Santa Monica Seafood renew funding for 5 marine conservation and restoration projects as well as fund 5 new projects through their Responsible Sourcing Vendor Partner Program
- Distributing two white papers summarizing traceability efforts in the seafood industry
- Hiring three new employees to help further our goals: Ashley Greenley, Ethan Lucas and Scott Kennedy
- To top it off, our Executive Director, Tobias Aguirre is expecting his first child on New Year’s Eve!
It’s been a great year for FishWise and we expect it’ll only get better in 2013.
Happy holidays to all,
The FishWise Team
- NEW CONSORTIUM WILL SUPPORT HUMAN RIGHTS RISK ASSESSMENTS WITHIN GLOBAL SEAFOOD SUPPLY CHAINS
- Strengthening the Role of Fishing Ports in Seafood Value Chain Traceability
- Leveraging the Intersection of DEIA and Social Responsibility for Seafood Supply Chains
- Reflections in light of Outlaw Ocean Project's recent investigative reporting